Update for Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (KB898715)
This fix addresses the issue with Windows Installer 3.1 and installation of system protected files described in KB Article #898715.
- Before the release of Windows Installer 3.1, during a silent installation process, a package could not install a later version of a file that was protected by the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature. However, the installation process would continue and would report as successful.
With the release of Windows Installer 3.1, this behavior has changed. In version 3.1, the silent installation process does not succeed and then rolls back the installation if the silent installation process cannot install the WFP-protected file. To resolve this problem, obtain the KB160810 update package.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium), Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium) 2003
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition with Windows Installer 3.1 (msi.dll version 3.1.4000.1830).
- Click the file you want to download from the list below.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Run.
- To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.
- To cancel the installation, click Cancel.
For complete information on installing or upgrading Windows installer, including command line options, please see the Windows Installer Start Page on MSDN.