Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)
The Microsoft® Windows® Installer is an application installation and configuration service. WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe is the redistributable package for installing or upgrading Windows Installer.
- The Microsoft® Windows® Installer is an application installation and configuration service. WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe is the redistributable package for installing or upgrading Windows Installer. This revised package replaces the previously released redistributable package named "WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe" and addresses the issue discussed in KB Article 898628: Windows Installer fails silently after you upgrade to Windows Installer 3.1.
For more information about the Windows Installer 3.1 redistributable, see KB Article 893803: Windows Installer 3.1 is now available.
Note for users of previous versions of the Windows Installer: The new Windows Installer redistributable follows a new naming convention that contains a knowledge base reference so it is easier to identify which version of the Windows Installer will be installed. The previous naming convention, INSTMSI.EXE, will no longer be used.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable supports Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 or later, Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2003. Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 contains Windows Installer 3.1 and therefore can't be installed or upgraded by this redistributable.
- Click the file you want to download from the list below.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Run.
- To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.
- To cancel the installation, click Cancel.
For complete information on installing or upgrading Windows installer, including command line options, please see the Windows Installer Start Page on MSDN.