Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP2 Express Edition Service Pack 2
SQL Server 2008 Express is a free edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs.
- SQL Server 2008 Express is a free edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs.Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express is a powerful and reliable data management system that delivers a rich set of features, data protection, and performance for embedded application clients, light Web applications, and local data stores. Designed for easy deployment and rapid prototyping, SQL Server 2008 Express is available at no cost, and you are free to redistribute it with applications. It is designed to integrate seamlessly with your other server infrastructure investments.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2) is now available.
- For more information on SQL Server 2008 Express Edition SP2, please refer to Knowledge Base article 2285068.
- For more information about SQL Server Express, including other versions and downloadable components now available, see Microsoft SQL Server Express.
- For information about the different editions of SQL Server 2008, see the Editions page.
- For more information about SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 2, please review the Release Notes.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Supported Operating Systems:Windows 7;Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Vista Service Pack 1;Windows XP Service Pack 3
- 32-bit systems
- Computer with Intel or compatible 1GHz or faster processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended. Only a single processor is supported.)
- Minimum of 256 MB of RAM (1 GB or more is recommended)
- 1GB of free hard disk space
- 64-bit systems (x64, ia64)
- 1.4 GHz or higher processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended. Only a single processor is supported.)
- Minimum of 256MB of RAM (1 GB or more is recommended)
- 1GB of free hard disk space
- To install SQL Server 2008 Express you must have administrative rights on the computer . We recommend that you read the Release Notes and Readme before installing SQL Server 2008 Express.
- To view the SQL Server 2008 SP2 Setup documentation on the local computer, do the following:
- Download and run SqlSP2_setuphelp.exe.
- Follow the instructions to extract the Help file.
- Find the location on the local computer where you saved the SqlSP2_setuphelp.chm file.
- Double-click SqlSP2_setuphelp.chm to open the Help file.
Note: SQL Server 2008 Express includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. SQLEXPR32_x86 is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server 2008 Express onto only 32-bit operating systems. SQLEXPR_x86 is the same product but supports installation onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WoW) operating systems. SQLEXPR_x64 is a native 64-bit SQL Server 2008 Express and supports installation onto only 64-bit operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages.