Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.
- Before you begin: Be sure to plug in and turn on any USB devices or other devices, such as printers, external hard disks, and scanners, that you regularly use with the PC you're checking.
The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor scans your PC for potential compatibility issues and lets you know about your Windows 7 upgrade options. Within minutes, you'll get a report that tells you if your PC meets the system requirements, if any known compatibility issues with your hardware, devices, and installed programs are found, and gives guidance on what to do to before installing Windows 7 on your PC.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2
- .NET Framework 2.0 or higher if running Windows XP
- Download and run Windows7UpgradeAdvisorSetup.exe to install Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
- If your PC is running Windows XP, setup will make sure .NET Framework 2.0 is installed. If it's not found, setup will help you install it.
- Plug in and turn on any USB devices or other devices, such as printers, external hard disks, and scanners, that you regularly use with the PC you're checking
- Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from your start menu or desktop