Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (180 days)
Windows Server 2008 R2 builds on the award-winning foundation of Windows Server 2008, expanding existing technology and adding new features to enable organizations to increase the reliability and flexibility of their server infrastructures.
- This software is for evaluation and testing purposes. The evaluation is available in ISO format. Web, Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter editions are available via the same download. You will be prompted for edition installation at setup. Evaluating any version of Windows Server 2008 R2 software does not require entering a product key, however will require activation within 10 days. Failing to activate the evaluation will cause the licensing service to shut the machine down every hour (The 10 day activation period can be reset five (5) times by using the rearm command. See below for further information on activation rearm). Once activated, the evaluation will run for 180 days. After this time, you will need to uninstall the evaluation software and reinstall a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008 R2.
This download is also available through our new Download Manager. This will ensure 100% completion rate, and accelerate download times on slower links.
To start this download via the Download Manager, please click here.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008 R2
- Please refer to the Windows Server 2008 R2 System Requirements page.
- Please refer to the documents below for further information
- Installing Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Notes
- 1. Click Start, and then click Command Prompt.
- 2. Type slmgr.vbs -dli, and then press ENTER to check the current status of your activation period.
- 3. To reset the activation period, type slmgr.vbs –rearm, and then press ENTER.
- 4. Restart the computer.
How to manually rearm the 10 day activation grace period
When the initial 10-day activation period nears its end, you can run the Slmgr.vbs script to reset it back to 10 days. To do this, follow these steps:
This resets the activation period to 10 days, and can be used up to five times. After this you will need to either activate or reinstall the evaluation.