Update for the IDirectPlay4 API of Microsoft for DirectX 9.0x (DirectPlay) (KB839643)
Vulnerability in the IDirectPlay4 API Could Allow Denial of Service. An attacker can send a malformed packet to anyone running the IDirectPlay4 API for Microsoft DirectPlay and cause it to crash.
- A denial of service vulnerability exists in the implementation of the IDirectPlay4 API of Microsoft DirectPlay due to a lack of robust packet validation.
If a user is running a networked DirectPlay application, an attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could cause the DirectPlay application fail. The application would need to be restarted in order to resume functionality.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 1
- Requires DirectX 9.0, DirectX 9.0a, or DirectX 9.0b to be installed.
- Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.