Key Management Service 1.1 (x64) for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Later
Key Management Service 1.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and later enables enterprise customers to activate volume editions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.
- Microsoft Key Management Service (KMS) 1.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and later is part of Microsoft Windows Volume Activation 2.0. It allows enterprise users to host KMS on Windows Server 2003 to enable activation of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 using a KMS key.
Microsoft Volume Activation 2.0 is a set of technical and policy solutions provided by Microsoft’s Software Protection Platform (SPP) that gives Microsoft customers more secure and easier methods to manage their volume license keys.
KMS based activation allows enterprise customers to host a local service within their environment to enable activation of machines running Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 volume editions within their environment, instead of activation directly with Microsoft. Computers that have been activated using KMS are required to reactivate by connecting to a KMS host at least once every 6 months.
KMS keys are provided through Microsoft’s Volume Licensing System portals (MVLS, eOpen). The KMS host needs to be activated once with Microsoft either online or via telephone.
KMS version 1.1 for Windows Server 2003 provides the same feature set as version 1.0 and the following additional functionality:
- A single KMS host which support volume license editions of both Windows Vista RTM/SP1 and Windows Server 2008
- Running KMS version 1.1 in a Windows Server 2003 virtual machine.
- Fixed issue with KB948003.EXE which prevented installation on localized versions of Windows Server 2003 SP1
- Updated Step-By-Step guide with detailed installation instructions
UPDATES: May 2008
|Knowledge Base Articles:|
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Datacenter x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 x64 editions
- Key Management Service for Windows 2003 requires Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later. Note that the same language versions must be used.
- Follow the Step-by-Step guide for scenario-specific installation instructions. IMPORTANT: The language version of the KMS package you are downloading must match the language version of the target Windows Server 2003 computer.