Microsoft® Visual Basic® for Applications Update - Q822150
An identified security issue in Microsoft® Visual Basic® for Applications could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows®-based system and then take a variety of actions. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer.
- An identified security issue in Microsoft® Visual Basic® for Applications could allow an attacker to compromise a Microsoft Windows®-based system and then take a variety of actions. For example, an attacker could read files on your computer or run programs on it. By installing this update, you can help protect your computer.
|Knowledge Base Articles:|
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
- The update available from this page is for applications using Microsoft® Visual Basic® for Applications (VBA). If you are a Microsoft Office 2000 or Microsoft Office XP user, please obtain a patch for this issue from the Office Update site in addition to installing this patch. You will find a link to OfficeUpdate under the Related Resources links at the right of this page.
It is possible to have both VBA version 5 and VBA version 6 installed at the same time. Follow all of the steps below to determine which version(s) of VBA is on your machine:
- Open the Windows Explorer
- Navigate to the \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA directory
- If you see vbe.dll you have VBA version 5. Right click on vbe.dll and choose "Properties"
- Choose the "Version" tab
The version will be the first line of information. For example, after this patch is installed the version of vbe.dll will be 126.96.36.199.
Next, navigate to the \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6 directory, if present.
- If the directory is present you also have VBA version 6 installed. Right click on vbe6.dll and choose "Properties"
- Choose the "Version" tab
The version will be the first line of information. For example, after this patch is installed the version of vbe6.dll will be 188.8.131.52.
To download and install this patch:
- Click the Download link to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.
Running this installer once will patch both VBA5 (vbe.dll) and VBA6 (vbe6.dll) if they are found on your machine.