Microsoft Download Center Archive
Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server
Microsoft Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE) provides fast and effective protection against malware and spam by including multiple scanning engines from industry-leading security partners. It also integrates with Forefront Online Protection for Exchange to provide the defense-in-depth benefits of hosted and on-premise filtering in a single solution.
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server provides fast and effective detection of viruses, worms, spyware, and spam by integrating multiple scanning engines from industry-leading security partners in a single solution. Its comprehensive messaging protection includes integration with Forefront Online Protection for Exchange for defense-in-depth security and filtering of out-of-policy content. Through integration with Exchange Server and core Microsoft infrastructure technologies, Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server provides high performance, easily customized antivirus and antispam optimized for Exchange environments.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server system requirements*
- x64 architecture-based with:
- Intel Xeon or Intel Pentium family processor that supports Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel EM64T), or
- AMD Opteron or AMD Athlon 64 processor that supports AMD64 platform.**
- Server software
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 SP1 or Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 ***
- 2 gigabytes (GB) of free memory in addition to that required to run Exchange server. For more information about the memory requirements for running Exchange server, consult your Exchange server planning documentation. ****
- 2 GB of available disk space. This is in addition to the disk space required for Exchange server. Utilizing a server as a redistribution server for updates requires additional disk space.
- A four core server with 2.0 GHz or higher processors is recommended. Lower performing servers are supported, but message throughput is decreased.
- Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0 SP1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP 1 Windows Communication Foundation or Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (automatically installed with Exchange Server 2010). If you are installing the Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange Gateway, .NET Framework 3.5 is required.
- Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. If these controls are not already present, they will be installed during the FPE installation process.
- Windows PowerShell 1.0
- Client Access Server (CAS). Required only for use with the on-demand scan with Exchange Server 2010.
* All minimum system memory and disk space requirements for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 SP1 or Exchange Server 2010 must be met before you can install FPE. Too little available memory or disk space may impact the ability of FPE to scan large files. Also, you cannot install FPE if previous versions of the product are installed.
** For evaluation purposes, 32-bit operating systems are supported.
*** To protect Exchange server, if both the Exchange server and SharePoint Products and Technologies are installed on the same server, only FPE can be installed.
**** Less memory is required if Intelligent Engine Management (IEM) is not enabled and fewer than 5 engines are selected (approximately 250 MB of memory per engine.) The memory requirement increases by 1.5 GB on multi-role servers.
- Click the "Download" button to download forefrontexchangesetup.exe.
- Select the file for download, and specify a location to save the file.
- After the file is downloaded, double-click the Setup program icon.*
* Microsoft Exchange Server must be installed on the computer before proceeding to install Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE). The FPE Setup application automatically detects the Exchange roles installed on the server, and installs the corresponding FPE protection roles.