Windows XP Mode
Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy to install and run many of your productivity programs that run on Windows XP directly from a computer that runs Windows 7.
- Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy run many of your productivity programs that run on Windows XP on Windows 7. It uses virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC to provide a Virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.
Windows XP Mode provides a 32-bit virtual Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (SP3) environment. This download includes a virtual hard disk (.vhd file) with Windows XP SP3 preinstalled. Client virtualization software, such as Windows Virtual PC is required to use Windows XP Mode.
Note: Upgrade from Windows XP Mode Beta/Release Candidate is not supported. Click here for more information.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7
- Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.
- Hard disk requirement: 2GB for installing Windows XP Mode. Additional 15GB of hard disk space for the virtual Windows environment.
- Windows XP Mode installation:
- Download the Windows XP Mode installer.
- Double click on the installer and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
We recommend that you save a copy of the Windows XP Mode installer for future, to restore the Windows XP Mode environment. For example, you could burn the installer to DVD or save it to a backup media. If the files installed by Windows XP Mode gets corrupted or deleted, you will get an error while trying to start Windows XP Mode. You can then try reinstalling the Windows XP Mode using the installer that you have saved.