Microsoft Download Center Archive
Codec Installation Package
This package can be used as an alternative to automatically downloading Windows Media Codecs, or to correct problems experienced with previously-downloaded codecs.
- This package is for network administrators who want to deliver support for the latest Windows Media Audio and Video codecs for enterprise computers running Windows Media Player 7.1, Windows Media Player for Windows XP, Windows Media Player 9 Series, and Windows Media Player 10.
Note: If you do not have Windows Media Player 9 Series or later installed and cannot play content by using the Windows Media Video 9 or Windows Media Audio 9 Voice codecs from a Player embedded in a Web page, consider downloading the codec installation package for Windows Media Player 6.4 as well.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME
- This component can be installed on the following operating systems:
- Windows Millenium Edition
- Windows 98 Second Edition with Media Player 7.0 or later
- Windows 2000 with Media Player 7.0 or later
- Click the Download button on this page to start the download.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.