Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Service Pack 4 (SP4) Express
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express is a powerful and reliable free data management system that delivers a rich and reliable data store for lightweight Web Sites and desktop applications.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express with SP4 is a free, feature-rich edition of SQL Server that is ideal for learning, developing, powering desktop, web & small server applications, and for redistribution by ISVs. The SQL Server 2012 SP4 Express release includes the full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP4 instead of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio Express. For a complete list of supported features in SQL Server Management Studio, see Features in SQL Server Management Studio.
- LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all its programmability features, yet runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and short list of prerequisites. Use this if you need a simple way to create and work with databases from code. It can be bundled with Application and Database Development tools like Visual Studio and or embedded with an application that needs local databases.
- Express edition includes the SQL Server database engine only. Best suited to accept remote connections or administer remotely.
- This package contains everything needed to install and configure SQL Server as a database server including the full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP4. Choose either LocalDB or Express depending on your needs.
- This does not contain the database, but only the tools to manage SQL Server instances, including LocalDB, SQL Express, SQL Azure, and full version of SQL Server. Use this if you already have the database and only need the management tools.
- This package contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP4. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services.
To learn more about the features supported by the SQL server, please visit the MSDN SQL Server 2012 supported features site.
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016
- Intel - compatible processor with a minimum speed of 1 GHz or a faster processor
- Minimum 512 MB for SQL Server Express with Tools, and SQL Server Express with Advanced Services and 4 GB for Reporting Services that installs with SQL Server Express with Advanced Services
- Hard Disk Space
- 4.2 GB of Disk Space
Limitations : Microsoft SQL Server Express supports 1 physical processor, 1 GB memory, and 10 GB storage
- Installation for the NEW users
Step 1: EnableMicrosoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1. or Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0.
- Note: SQL Server Express (with database engine only) can work with either .NET 3.5 SP1 or .NET 4, there is no need to have both enabled.
Installation for the Existing Users
If you have an existing installation of Express with Tools, SQL Server Management Studio Express, or Express with Advanced Services, and want to add the complete SQL Server Management Studio feature to your Express instance, do the following:
Step 1: Download the required Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express SP4 file to update your current SQL Server 2012 Express installation by clicking the appropriate link.
Step 2: Run the file, and follow the instructions in the setup wizard to install. On the Installation Type page, select Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server, and select the instance you would like to update.
Step 3: On the Feature Selection page, select the Management Tools – Complete check box, and then proceed to complete the installation.
- Note: Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 SP4 Express includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. SQLEXPR32_x86 is a smaller package that can be used to install SQL Server 2012 Express SP4 onto only 32-bit operating systems. SQLEXPR_x86 is the same product but supports installation onto both 32-bit and 64-bit (WoW) operating systems. SQLEXPR_x64 is a native 64-bit SQL Server 2012 Express SP4 and supports installation onto only 64-bit operating systems. There is no other difference between these packages.