Open XML SDK 2.0 for Microsoft Office
This download provides strongly typed part and content classes for use with Open XML documents.
- Open XML is an open ECMA 376 standard and is also approved as the ISO/IEC 29500 standard that defines a set of XML schemas for representing spreadsheets, charts, presentations, and word processing documents. Microsoft Office Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007 all use Open XML as the default file format.
The Open XML file formats are useful for developers because they use an open standard and are based on well-known technologies: ZIP and XML.
The Open XML SDK 2.0 for Microsoft Office is built on top of the System.IO.Packaging API and provides strongly typed part classes to manipulate Open XML documents. The SDK also uses the .NET Framework Language-Integrated Query (LINQ) technology to provide strongly typed object access to the XML content inside the parts of Open XML documents.
The Open XML SDK 2.0 simplifies the task of manipulating Open XML packages and the underlying Open XML schema elements within a package. The Open XML Application Programming Interface (API) encapsulates many common tasks that developers perform on Open XML packages, so you can perform complex operations with just a few lines of code.
The tools package contains the Open XML SDK v2.0 Productivity Tool for Office and the documentation for the Open XML SDK v2. The Open XML SDK 2.0 Productivity Tool for Microsoft Office provides a number of features designed to improve your productivity and accelerate your learning while working with the SDK and Open XML files. Features include the ability to generate Open XML SDK 2.0 source code based on document content, compare source and target Open XML documents to reveal differences and to generate source code to create the target from the source, validate documents, and display documentation for the Open XML SDK v2.0, the ECMA376v1 standard, and the Microsoft Office implementation notes.
Note: For backward compatability, the Open XML SDK 1.0 is also available. Open XML SDK 1.0 is not supported on Windows 7.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3
- This download requires the following:
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1.
- Up to 300 MB of available disk space.
- To install this download:
- Download the files by clicking the Download link and saving the files to your hard disk drive.
- Double-click the OpenXMLSDKv2.msi or OpenXMLSDKTool.msi program file on your hard disk drive to start the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Note: If the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not already installed on the computer, the setup wizard asks you to install the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 first. The default installation path of the SDK is %systemdrive%\Program Files\Open XML Format SDK\V2.0\.
Once you have installed this download, you can use this reference to develop custom solutions based on the Open XML file formats.