Microsoft Download Center Archive
Application Verifier Tool for Windows Mobile® 5.0
The Application Verifier tool assesses the stability of an application and detects common programming mistakes. The tool can detect and pinpoint memory leaks, handle leaks, and leaks in graphics device interface (GDI) objects. The tool can also detect some forms of heap corruption.
- The Application Verifier tool assesses the stability of an application and detects common programming mistakes. The tool can detect and pinpoint memory leaks, handle leaks, and leaks in graphics device interface (GDI) objects. The tool can also detect some forms of heap corruption.
Application Verifier attaches to an application and performs tests while the application runs. With the tool, you may be able to diagnose subtle problems with an application that would otherwise be difficult to diagnose on Microsoft® Windows® CE.
Each test that Application Verifier runs is referred to as a shim. The tool inserts the shim into the code path between the calling function and the intended target function. A shim loads into the process space, and the kernel redirects calls from other libraries to the shim.
You might find it helpful to run a shim with a debugger attached to the target device. If a debugger is attached to the target device, the debugger points to the location where the exception occurred, which might be close to the source of the problem identified by the shim.
For a specified application, you can select the shims that Application Verifier uses to test the application. Examples of tests performed by shims for the tool include tests for memory leaks, tests for the usage of specific application programming interfaces (APIs), and tests for memory corruption.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
|Application Verifier.msi||4.98 MB|
Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows XP 64-bit, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium), Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- The following mobile device operating systems are supported by Application Verifier for Windows Mobile 5.0:
• Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0
• Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0
- 1. Install the Application Verifier for Windows Mobile setup software (5.5 MB) to your PC by clicking Application Verifier.msi below.
2. Select Run this program from its current location and click OK.
3. Follow the instructions on the screen.
For systems that have never installed Platform Builder, complete the following additional steps:
1. Install the Windows CE 5.0 Stand Alone CETK (this provides connection libraries needed).
2. Replace the Application verifier binaries in the processor folder for the device type. For example, replace C:\Program Files\Windows CE platform builder\5.00\CEPB\wcetk\DDTK\ARMV4I with C:\Program Files\Application Verifier for Mobile 5.0\Armv4i.
For retail devices you will also need to sign all of the application verifier binaries with the Privileged SDK certificate.