Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update
This download installs an update for Visual SourceSafe 2005
- This update is a rollup of bug fixes for Visual Source Safe. The fixed bugs include stability, performance, data integrity, and usability enhancements in many areas of the product. It also improves compatibility with Visual Studio 2008 and Windows Vista™. A comprehensive list of fixes is publsihed in the Microsoft Knowledgebase Article. The article can be found by following the appropriate link under Additional Information on this page.
- This update may be installed before or after installing Visual Studio.
- It is recommended that this update be installed before using SourceSafe inside Visual Studio 2008 (formerly codenamed “Orcas”). Once installed, SourceSafe 2005 is compatible with all Orcas releases.
- The update only needs to be installed once.
- The update can be installed over any existing SourceSafe 2005 hotfixes. In addition, future hotfixes will contain all of the changes from this update (cumulative). Older builds will never overwrite newer builds.
- It is recommended that you backup your SourceSafe databases before installing this update.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Required Software: Visual Source Safe 2005
- Click the Download button on this page to start the download.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Run.
- To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.
- To cancel the installation, click Cancel.
- If you are installing on Windows Vista™, the GDR setup must be run with elevated privileges. You may be prompted to enter your administrator credentials.