Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility (KB 926505)
This update adds support for the Windows SBS Client Deployment tools along with other compatibility issues for Windows Vista and Office 2007 in a Windows SBS network. For the full list of updates necessary for Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility see the Instructions section.
- You can use the Client Deployment tools in Windows SBS to easily connect a client computer to your Windows SBS network. You can also use the tools to configure the correct settings to support solutions that are specific to Windows SBS (like remote access to your office computer).
This update, together with the additional updates and service packs listed later in this section, addresses compatibility issues with Windows Vista and Office 2007 in a Windows SBS network, including the following:
- Support for the Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions of Windows Vista (including both 32-bit and 64-bit). This update does not apply to Windows Vista Home.
- Updated Client Deployment tools, so you can configure the newer versions of components in Windows Vista.
- Changes that make a user who is assigned to a computer that is running Windows Vista an administrator in Admin Approval Mode.
- Changes to Group Policy to support configuration of the new Windows Firewall in Windows Vista.
- Configuration of Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (MAPI profile, not Outlook deployment) for client computers that are running Windows XP or Windows Vista.
- A small change to the user experience when joining Windows Vista to the Windows SBS domain using http://server/ConnectComputer to address Internet Explorer 7 in Protected Mode.
- Changes to Remote Desktop settings that support Windows XP and Windows Vista.
- Changes to the Power Management settings to support Remote Desktop.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Service Pack 1
Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2
- Download and install all updates for full Windows Vista compatibility with Windows SBS 2003
- KB article 926505 - Download and install the "Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility (KB 926505)" on your server from the Quick Details section on this page.
- KB article 911829 - Download this update from the Microsoft Web site. Install this update on your server to support client computers that are running Outlook Web Access (OWA) and Windows Vista.
- User Profile WMI Provider - This provider is required if you want to enable users to access documents and user settings for their existing user profiles after a computer joins the Windows SBS domain.
To enable users to access existing documents and settings after the client computer is joined to the domain, download and install the User Profile WMI Provider to each client computer that is running Windows Vista before you use http://servername/ConnectComputer. You do not need to install the provider if you do not have existing local user documents or settings.
Log on to the client computer that is running Windows Vista, and then download and install the User Profile WMI Provider from the Microsoft Web site
- If you are running the Premium Edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003, install the following updates for Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004:
- Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 Standard Edition - Download this service pack from the Microsoft Web site to enable synchronization between Windows Vista Outlook Client and the Exchange mailbox on your server.
- Firewall Client for ISA Server
- Download the Firewall Client software from the Microsoft Web site to a shared folder on your server (for example, the ClientApps folder).
- From each client computer that is running Windows Vista, browse to the shared folder on the server where you downloaded it, and then install the Firewall Client for ISA Server 2004.
- When prompted to configure Firewall Client, type the name of your server.
Note: Firewall Client for ISA Server is supported for Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.
- ISA Server 2004 update package – Install this package from the Microsoft Web site to support client computers that are running 64-bit editions of Windows Vista.
- For more information about how to manually configure any additional settings, see "Using Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 in a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network" at the Microsoft Web site. For example, this document tells you how to manually configure the fax server name for each client computer that is running Windows Vista.