Microsoft Application Verifier
THIS VERSION OF APPLICATION VERIFIER IS OUTDATED AND SUPPLIED AS-IS FOR OPERATING SYSTEMS OLDER THAN WINDOWS 7. New releases are distributed in the Windows SDK - https://developer.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk. For previous versions of Windows, archived SDK releases are available at https://developer.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/sdk-archive.
- THIS VERSION OF APPLICATION VERIFIER IS OUTDATED AND SUPPLIED AS-IS FOR OPERATING SYSTEMS OLDER THAN WINDOWS 7.
Application Verifier is designed specifically to detect and help debug memory corruptions and critical security vulnerabilities.
This is achieved by monitoring a native application's interaction with the Windows operating system, profiling its use of objects, the registry, the file system, and Win32 APIs (including heaps, handles, locks, etc), and indicating issues when and where they are discovered.
Application Verifier also includes checks to predict how well an application may perform under various account privileges. These compatibility tests are used in Windows Logo program.
Print verification tests are also available to verify your usage of the print subsystem.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- Application Verifier can be used with any unmanaged application or program. In order to test with Application Verifier,
• You must be an administrator on the system that you are using in order to run Application Verifier.
• You must run your project with the tool turned on and go through your testing scenarios
• The system must be running a supported Windows platform: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista.
• Application Verifier supports x86, x64 and IA64 platforms
• If full page heap is enabled, you will need to ensure you have a large page file (e.g. 1Gb).
• The Basics verification layer will require that you run your application under a debugger.
Note: WinPE is not supported with this release of Application Verifier
- To install Application Verifier:
1. Select from the list below the appropriate platform.
2. Click the file name.
3. When prompted, do one of the following:
• To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
• To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.
To run Application Verifier:
1. Upon completion of your installation, you will be provided an “Application Verifier” menu option off your “Programs” menu. You may use this to launch the tool, or by running “AppVerif.exe” directly.
2. Once running, select “Add Application” off the “File” menu, and select your application.
3. At this point, you may choose to “Exit” with and accept the default setting, or modify your settings to target specific tests. Please refer to the provided help for details on what checks may best serve your needs.