Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Express with Advanced Services
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services is a free, easy-to use version of the SQL Server Express data platform. This edition includes an advanced graphical management tool and powerful reporting features to make it easier than ever to start developing powerful data-driven applications for the Web or local desktop.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services is a free, easy-to-use version of the SQL Server Express data platform that includes an advanced graphical management tool and powerful features for reporting and advanced text-based searches. This edition provides powerful and reliable data management tools and rich features, data protection, and fast performance. It is ideal for small server applications and local data stores.
Free to download, free to deploy, and free to redistribute as an embedded part of an application, SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services is the fast and easy way to develop and manage data-driven applications with powerful built-in reporting and full-text search functionality.
For more information about SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services, including other versions and downloadable components now available, see Microsoft SQL Server Express.
For information about the different editions of SQL Server 2008, see the Editions page.
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3
- 32-Bit Systems: Computer with Intel or compatible 1GHz or faster processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended. Only a single processor is supported)
- 64-Bit Systems: 1.4 GHz or higher processor (2 GHz or faster is recommended. Only a single processor is supported)
- Minimum of 512 MB of RAM (1 GB or more is recommended)
- 1 GB of free hard disk space
Note: There is no support in this release for Windows XP Embedded Edition.
Connecting to Visual Studio 2005 requires downloading and installing Visual Studio 2005 Support for SQL Server 2008, Community Technology Preview.
Please read important information in the Release Notes before installing SQL Server 2008 with Visual Studio 2008.
To learn more about what is required to run SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services, see the system requirements page.
- Note: You must have administrative rights on the computer to install SQL Server Express.
We recommended that you read the Release Notes and Readme before installing SQL Server Express with Advance Services.
Step 1: Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.
Step 2 Download and install Windows Installer 4.5.
Step 3 Download and install Windows PowerShell 1.0.
Note: For help on installing Windows Powershell 1.0 see the following KB articles:
- 926139: English Language PowerShell 1.0 for Windows XP ans Windows Server 2003
- 926140: Localized PowerShell 1.0 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
- 926141: Multilanguage User Interface for PowerShell 1.0 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
- 928439: PowerShell 1.0 for Vista (includes all languages)
Step 4: Download SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services by clicking the appropriate link later on this page. To start the installation immediately, click Run. To install SQL Server Express at a later time, click Save.