Microsoft Transliteration Utility (TU)
A tool for transliterating one natural language script to another (like Serbian Latin to Serbian Cyrillic or Latin to Inuktitut).
- Today several languages like Serbian and Bosnian use two or more different scripts to represent their written languages. There are times when people would like to either type in one script but produce the other or be able to convert from one script to the other without retyping in everything.
The Transliteration Utility (TU) is tool for transliterating one natural language script to another (like Serbian Latin to Serbian Cyrillic or Latin to Inuktitut). Plus, it can be used to create, edit, debug, and test natural language transliteration modules used to convert one script to another.
To use TU for instant transliteration, you work in the Main Form. The Main Form is the appropriate user interface to see real-time transliterations of typed/pasted input text or text of an entire file. Before any transliteration can be applied to input text, you select a transliteration module, which best meets your needs (there are nine that ship with TU).
To transliterate a larger amount of data, spread over several files, a Command Line Interface is available to be used in batch-mode.
To author, edit, and/or test transliteration modules, you work in the Module Development Console, which uses a simple text format to create TU modules.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP
- Language/font support already installed. See Enabling International Support in Windows XP/Server 2003 Family for details
- Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 must be installed
- Notice: This application is distributed "as is", with no obligations or technical support from Microsoft Corporation.
To install this download:
- Download the file by clicking the Download button (above) and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the TransliterationUtility.msi file on your hard disk to start the Setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.