Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway Best Practices Analyzer Tool
The Forefront Threat Management Gateway (TMG) Best Practices Analyzer (BPA) Tool is designed for administrators who want to determine the overall health of their Forefront TMG computers and to diagnose current problems. The tool scans the configuration settings of the local Forefront TMG computer and reports issues that do not conform to the recommended best practices.
- The Forefront TMG BPA is a diagnostic tool that automatically performs specific tests on configuration data collected on the local Forefront TMG computer from the Forefront TMG hierarchy of administration COM objects, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) classes, the system registry, files on disk, and the Domain Name System (DNS) settings.
The resulting report details critical configuration issues, potential problems, and information about the local computer. By following the recommendations of the tool, administrators can achieve greater performance, scalability, reliability, and uptime.
The Forefront TMG BPA is supplied with two supplemental tools:
• The TMG Data Packager enables you to create a single .cab file containing Forefront TMG diagnostic information that can be easily sent to Microsoft Product Support Services for analysis.
• BPA2Visio generates a Microsoft Office Visio® diagram of your network topology as seen from a Forefront TMG computer or any Windows computer based on output from Forefront TMG BPA. Note that Microsoft Office Visio 2003, 2007, or 2010 must be installed in order to run BPA2Visio.
Important!: This BPA Tool is designed to support Forefront TMG only. To download the BPA Tool for Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server, see ISA BPA Tool .
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista
- • Forefront TMG Medium Business Edition (MBE); Forefront TMG 2010
• Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or above
• For BPA2Visio: Microsoft Office Visio 2003; Microsoft Office Visio 2007; Microsoft Office Visio 2010
- To install the Forefront TMG BPA Tool, run the Microsoft Installer file, TmgBPA.msi, on the computer where you will run the tool, and follow the prompts on the screen. The installer will create a folder named Microsoft TmgBPA, located by default at %programfiles% on 32-bit systems, and at %programfiles (x86)% on 64-bit systems, and will copy the required files to this new folder.
You can use the Forefront TMG BPA on any computer on which Forefront TMG 2010 or Forefront TMG MBE is installed.
You can run BPA2Visio on a computer on which Forefront TMG is not installed.