BitLocker Repair Tool
The BitLocker Repair Tool can assist administrators in recovering data from a corrupted or damaged disk volume that was encrypted with BitLocker.
- This tool helps access data encrypted with BitLocker if the hard disk has been physically damaged. This tool attempts to reconstruct critical data from the drive and salvage any recoverable data.
To decrypt the data, a recovery password or recovery key is required. In some cases, a backup of the key package is also required.
Use this command-line tool if the following conditions are true:
• A volume has been encrypted by using BitLocker Drive Encryption.
• Windows does not start, or you cannot start the BitLocker recovery console.
• You do not have a copy of the data that is contained on the encrypted volume.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1
- Note: BitLocker does not need to be installed on the computer for you to use the BitLocker Repair Tool, but the system must be running.
- To start the download, click the Download button at the top of this page and do one of the following:
•Click Open to start the installation immediately.
•Click Save to copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time.