Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Software Development Kit (SDK)
The Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 software development kit (SDK) contains conceptual overviews, programming tasks, samples, and references to guide you in developing solutions based on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
- The Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SDK contains conceptual overviews, programming tasks, and references to guide you in developing solutions based on Windows SharePoint Services as a platform. The SDK includes information about the following technologies:
- Web Part Framework Create, package, and deploy Web Parts on SharePoint sites.
- Server-side object model Work with individual lists and sites or manage an entire Windows SharePoint Services deployment.
- Web services Use default Web services, or create custom Web services, to interact with Windows SharePoint Services from external applications.
- Collaborative Application Markup Language (CAML) Customize the schemas that define lists and sites, define queries for use with members of the object model or Web services, and specify parameters for use with methods in Remote Procedure Call (RPC) protocol.
- Master Pages Specify all of the shared elements of your site in the master page or pages, and add content page-specific elements to content pages.
- Workflows Create workflows that encapsulate business processes to be performed on items in Windows SharePoint Services, and attach those workflows to items in Windows SharePoint Services.
- Custom Field Types Create custom field types that conform to your business data. These custom field types can be based on the base field types already included in Windows SharePoint Services, and can include custom data validation, field rendering, and field property rendering and processing.
- Information Rights Management (IRM) Specify IRM for files located in document libraries and stored as attachments to list items. Create IRM protectors for your own custom file types.
- Document Property Promotion and Demotion Use the built-in XML parser to synchronize the document properties and list column data for XML documents. Create document parsers to do the same for your custom file types.
- Search Use the new Query object model and Query Web service to retrieve search results. Search in Windows SharePoint Services now shares the same SharePoint search technology used by Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
What's New in this SDK
Each update of the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SDK contains significant new conceptual, procedural, and reference material to help developers create customizations and applications for Windows SharePoint Services. In this release, you can find the following new and updated content:
- Expanded documentation of backup and restore features This release contains greatly expanded documentation of backup and restore features, including a new top-level node, "Backing Up and Restoring." The node includes twelve articles, including "Overview of Backing Up and Restoring Data in Windows SharePoint Services," and four new How To topics.
- Complete documentation of Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup Object model reference documentation in the Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Backup namespace is complete, and code samples are provided for all critical types and members.
- New documentation of the administrative object model A new section, "The Administrative Object Model of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0," contains six new articles, and the "Administration" section has a new, extended code sample.
- Revised Web Part documentation The section that provides conceptual documentation of Web Parts has been completely restructured, and two walkthrough topics have been significantly revised and rewritten.
- More migration support A new section, "Selective Content Migration," contains three articles to support selective migration strategies. Additionally, additions and revisions have been made to existing topics in the "Content Migration Overview" section, and a large number of API reference topics that support migration and deployment scenarios have been completed in the SharePoint.Deployment namespace.
- Expanded and updated reference documentation You can find enhanced documentation of types and members in the SharePoint.Workflow and SharePoint.WorkflowActions namespaces, the People Web service, and three ActiveX controls.
Note: You can also view the latest release of the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SDK online in the MSDN Library.
Also included in this package is the IRM Document Protector, which is a sample custom document protector for the IRM feature; an ASPX Collect Feedback workflow sample; and a compiled Help file that contains technical articles and Visual How Tos.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP
- The SDK does not require additional applications to install the files. However, to use the code samples, we recommend that you also install the following applications on the same computer where the package is installed:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Studio 2005 to open and compile the sample projects
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Visual Studio 2005 extensions for .NET Framework 3.0 (Windows Workflow Foundation)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package
- To install this download:
- Download the setup program by clicking the Download button and saving the file to your hard disk.
- Double-click the WssSDK.exe program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
To remove the download file, delete WssSDK.exe.
The default installation directory is program files:\Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SDK. To remove the installed files, delete the following from your installation directory:
- Samples subdirectory