Windows Server AppFabric
Windows Server AppFabric is a set of integrated technologies that make it easier to build, scale and manage Web and composite applications that run on IIS.
- Windows Server AppFabric is a set of integrated technologies that make it easier to build, scale and manage Web and composite applications that run on IIS. Windows Server AppFabric targets applications built using ASP.NET, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and Windows Workflow Foundation (WF).
- It provides out-of-the-box capabilities for you to easily build and manage composite applications, including:
- Enhanced design and development tools in Visual Studio to build rich composite applications
- Management and monitoring of services and workflows via integration with IIS Manager and Windows PowerShell
- Distributed in-memory application cache to improve application performance
- Windows Server AppFabric allows developers to build their next-generation composite applications, and for administrators to host and manage them. It integrates technologies previewed as code name "Dublin" and code name "Velocity".
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista
- Windows Server AppFabric can be installed on the following operating systems:
- Supported Architectures:
- 32-bit (x86)
- 64-bit (x64)
- Hardware requirements:
- Minimum Hard Disk Space: 2GB
- Computer with an Intel Pentium-compatible CPU that is 1 GHz or faster for single processors; 900 MHz or faster for dual processors; or 700 MHz or faster for quad processors.
- Prerequisite software:
- All features of Windows Server AppFabric require a .NET Framework version to function. The specific version required is dependent on which features you wish to use:
- Hosting services require Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Hosting administration requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Cache administration requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Internet Information Services (IIS) 7
- Internet Information Services (IIS) 7 Hotfix #980423
- Windows PowerShell 2.0 (final version) (this is not required for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 users)
- Install the following pre-requisite software. If this software is not already installed, install in the order presented below:
- Upgrade from Windows Server AppFabric Beta 2 Refresh and Windows Server AppFabric RC is supported. However upgrade from older versions of Windows AppFabric (Beta 1 and Beta 2) is not supported. Before starting the installation, uninstall older versions (pre-Beta 2 refresh) of Windows Server AppFabric, then install pre-requisite software. It is important to uninstall Windows Server AppFabric Beta 1, Windows Server AppFabric Beta 2 before uninstalling .NET 4 Beta 2 or .NET 4 RC respectively and installing the final version of .NET 4. For more information and a work-around see the release notes.
- Click the Download button to download the appropriate file for your operating system and architecture. See the table in the additional information section to select the correct file.
- Choose to Save the file to your hard drive.
- Find the file on your hard drive. Right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'. Click on 'Yes' when prompted.
- The installation wizard will start; follow the instructions to complete the installation. For more information on how to use the wizard to configure your system consult the getting started guide.
- NOTE: While using Windows Server AppFabric, you may configure your server, site or your application to use some AppFabric’s specific features. Upon uninstall of AppFabric, however, this may cause your applications to be in a non-functional or undesirable state. Reinstalling a later build of AppFabric will address this issue, or alternatively we have created an uninstall cleanup utility that will automatically restore the state of your applications.This readme describes the use of the uninstall tool that is downloadable here.