Help Viewer 1.0 SDK
Software Development Kit for Help Viewer 1.0 interfaces
- Visual Studio 2010 shipped with a new help system - Help Viewer 1.0. Help Viewer 1.0 is built on common standards such as XHTML and .zip file format.
Developers can leverage the ms-xhelp:// protocol documented in this SDK to implement their own Help experiences and Help viewers using the Help Viewer 1.0 runtime.
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard, Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Any of the Visual Studio 2010 family of products, including the Visual Studio Express products.
This requirement is for the Help Viewer 1.0 runtime, which only ships with those products.
- This download is a self-extracting .exe, which will simply install some documentation in the form of HTML files, and some code samples. No executable code is included.
To install the SDK:
1. Download the HelpViewerSDK.exe file.
2. Execute it and when prompted, specify a folder location where you want to place the extracted files.
3. Navigate to the folder where you extracted the files to - you will find HelpViewerSDK.zip.
4. Right-click on HelpViewerSDK.zip and select "Extract All..." (you may use the current location or an alternate of your choice)
5. Double-click on 00_HelpSDK_OverviewAndFAQ.htm to get started with the documentation for the SDK.
For any problems with installation or general questions, please leave a note via The Help Guy blog.