Microsoft Visual Studio and .NET Framework Log Collection Tool
Collect information from Microsoft Visual Studio and .NET Framework installations.
- The log collection tool collects available setup logs from all supported releases of Visual Studio, .NET Framework, and SQL Server from your computer, and can help Microsoft diagnose issues with installing products from the Visual Studio family. If you encounter any setup-related issues and contact Microsoft Support or Visual Studio, you may need to provide these setup logs.
Please follow the instructions below to gather installation logs. By default the log collection tool creates a compressed archive of all the Visual Studio, .NET Framework, and SQL Server setup logs and other supporting files at %TEMP%\vslogs.zip. Run "collect.exe /?" for more options.
The events and log files we collect may contain personally identifiable information. Please see our Privacy Statement for more information.
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2
- Administrative privileges are required. Please run this tool from an elevated command prompt if you want to see verbose logging after it completes.
- Download collect.exe from the link below. You will need to save the tool first.
- Open an adminstrative console window.
- Run Collect.exe from the directory where you saved the tool.
By default, Collect.exe will automatically gather SQL install logs, event log information, computer information and a Windows Installer inventory in addition to product install logs. The resulting cabinet is created in your %TEMP% directory.
Run Collect -? for additional options and usage information.