Windows Media Services 2008 for Windows Server 2008
These Microsoft Update Standalone Package (MSU) files install the latest version of Windows Media Services and related remote administration tools for the Windows Server 2008 operating system.
- This software is an optional supplement to Windows Server 2008. In Windows Server 2008, the Streaming Media Services role (which includes the latest version of Windows Media Services) and remote administration tools are not included in Server Manager. To obtain the new features and tools available in Windows Media Services for Windows Server 2008, such as the built-in WMS Cache/Proxy plug-in, you must obtain and run the appropriate Streaming Media Services role installer file on the updated platform.
These Microsoft Update Standalone Package (MSU) files install either 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) versions (as noted in the file names) of:
- Windows Media Services and the rest of the Streaming Media Services role in Server Manager, on “full” installations of Standard and Enterprise editions of Windows Server 2008
- The Streaming Media Services Server Core role, on “Server Core” installations of Standard and Enterprise editions of Windows Server 2008
- The Windows Media Services snap-in for Microsoft Management Console (MMC) on a computer that is running the Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate edition of the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system
This download is no longer available on microsoft.com. The downloads below are archives provided by the Internet Archive Wayback Machine from the Microsoft Download Center prior to August 2020.
Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2
For additional system requirements, see the links below and in the Related Resources section of this page.
- The download links below are for 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) architectures. Within each architecture, there are three packages:
- Windows6.0-KB934518-x86-Server.msu / Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Server.msu - Windows Media Services and the rest of the Streaming Media Services role, denoted by “Server” in the File Name
- Windows6.0-KB934518-x86-Core.msu / Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Core.msu - The Streaming Media Services Server Core role, for “Server Core” installations of Standard and Enterprise editions of Windows Server 2008, denoted by “Core” in the File Name
- Windows6.0-KB934518-x86-Admin.msu/Windows6.0-KB934518-x64-Admin.msu - The Windows Media Services Remote Server Administration Tools snap-in for Microsoft Management Console (MMC), to be used on computers that are running the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system, denoted by “Admin” in the File Name
To start a download, click a File Name link at the bottom of this page and then do one of the following:
- Click Run to start the installation immediately
- Click Save to copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time (required to install the “Server Core” downloads)