Microsoft Visual Studio Code Name “Orcas” Language-Integrated Query, May 2006 Community Technology Preview
A preview of LINQ, code name for a set of extensions to the .NET Framework that encompass language-integrated data query, set, and transform operations.
- LINQ is a codename for a set of extensions to the .NET Framework that encompass language-integrated data query, set, and transform operations. It includes extensions to the C# and Visual Basic languages with native language syntax for queries and provides class libraries to take advantage of these capabilities.
This package is a combined update of both the VB and C# LINQ Community Technology Previews released in January 2006 and December 2005. It includes samples, whitepapers, hands-on labs and compiler/IDE support for creating LINQ-enabled applications. Major component additions in this release are the DLinq Designer, LINQ over Dataset, Data Binding, and ASP.NET LINQ project templates. For more detailed information, see the readme.
Note: This is only for testing purposes. Features may change before launch.
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
|LINQ Preview (May 2006).msi
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Longhorn (Windows Code Name), Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Embedded Service Pack 2
- This preview may not work correctly on 64-bit operating systems.
- Required Software:
- Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or higher
- An English-language version of Visual Studio and Windows is recommended – this release has not been tested on other platforms.
- Optional Software:
- To run DLinq samples, you must have one of the following installed:
- SQL Server 2005 Express (included with Visual Studio 2005)
- These versions of SQL Server will require some minor code changes to the samples (see the Troubleshooting section in the readme for instructions):
- SQL Server 2005 (non-Express)
- SQL Server 2000a
- To use the LINQ WinFX project template, you must have WinFX Runtime Beta 2 installed.
- Disk Space Requirements: 75 MB
- Required Software:
- Important: Make sure you have the latest service pack and critical updates for the version of Windows that you are running. To find recent security updates, visit Windows Update.
- Click the Download button in the upper right-hand corner of this page to start the download
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Run.
- To save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save.
- To cancel the installation, click Cancel.
IMPORTANT: If you have installed previous pre-release versions of LINQ, such as the December 2005 or PDC LINQ Preview or the January 2006 Visual Basic LINQ Preview, then you must remove them via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel before installing this release.