Gadget Samples for Windows Sidebar
Sample gadgets that demonstrate the functionality of the Windows Sidebar scripting elements.
- These gadget samples are intended to demonstrate the functionality of the Windows Sidebar scripting elements. Most of the code snippets found throughout the Sidebar Reference documentation are extracted directly from the gadget code provided here.
Here’s a rundown and brief description of each of the gadget samples:
Demonstrates a simple 'Hello World' gadget.
Demonstrates gadget flyout functionality.
Demonstrates gadget settings functionality.
Demonstrates the gadget docking functionality.
Demonstrates gadget debugging functionality.
Text and Graphics
Demonstrates the g:background, g:image, g:text elements and the gimage protocol of the Windows Vista Sidebar.
This download is still available on microsoft.com. The downloads below will come directly from the Microsoft Download Center.
File sizes and hashes are retrieved from the Wayback Machine’s indexes. They may not match the latest versions of files hosted on Microsoft servers.
Operating Systems: Windows Vista
- Click the Download button on this page to start the download, or choose a different language from the drop-down list and click Go.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.
- When running the self-extracting .exe, you will be prompted for a location to save the contents of the file (GadgetSamples.zip). Browse to, or type, your desired location and select OK.
- Open the GadgetSamples.zip archive.
- Double-click a .gadget file of interest.
- Click Install when prompted with the Windows Sidebar installation dialog.